Personal Assistant/Support Worker
Job Description PA
Job Title: Personal Care Assistant (PA)
Job Ref: KC/FHB/03/21
Reporting to: Employer
Location: Moseley, Birmingham
Rate of Pay: £9.50 per hour
Who am I?
I’m looking for a Personal Care Assistant to help me live my life in a way which keeps me happy and comfortable.
I’m a 30-year-old, non-binary person, with EDS (+ other chronic illnesses). I use crutches, and am an ambulatory wheelchair user, and I’m looking for that awesome individual who can make a difference in my life with supported independence.
I have 1 pet (a friendly senior cat). My two favorite subjects to talk about are psychology and accessibility. I’m a firm believer that with a little effort we can make the world accommodating to people of all kinds of needs.
I’m social so besides being happy working with me in my home, I would need your help to get to and from any social engagements or appointments I have. I don’t have a car, so it’s preferred for you to drive and have a valid driver’s license.
Nature of the job:
Would you be willing to help me with communicating with others? That could be sending or answering emails on my behalf, reading letters or emails aloud (my vision is variable) or helping me to answer calls – either speaking on my behalf or just putting the call on speakerphone so I can freely talk.
I have a folding wheelchair that needs lifting for travel, so being able to manage precise and sometimes complicated manual handling is a must. (I’ll help guide you, though!)
I also need support in simple everyday tasks, such as washing dishes, hanging up wet clothes, changing bed sheets, preparing meals and drinks, cleaning out the cat litter and taking out the rubbish.
I medicate myself however because my vision is variable and at times, I can go completely blind, someone who has experience administering medication is desired, but not necessary. Only applicants who are able and willing to provide a high level of care will be considered.
Is this role for you?
- Embrace the opportunity to make things easier for someone like me.
- Find it rewarding to help others and provide a high-level support to the best of your abilities.
- Stay calm under pressure and unexpected challenges don’t faze you.
- Have a strong moral compass that means you won’t compromise on your values (or mine).
- Not mind interacting and working with other members of my support network. That includes paid carer’s and members of my family.
- Possess a willingness to learn; I will provide or give you access to this as part of your role. For example, manual handling, CPR, First Aid, Sign Language, Autism Awareness.
- Are open to working weekends each month, or splitting them with another PA.
- Feel at ease communicating using email and phone with good use of English.
What I can give you
- A comfortable working environment within my home. I have lots of kits to support me, but it also includes a friendly cat, a good kettle, and an array of lovely tea.
- 5 hours of work with an hourly rate of £9.50
- A shift pattern of an hour every morning 10am-10.30am, and one hour in the evening 7pm-8pm. Also 3 flexible hours to be used for social events, hospital appointments, when my health requires extra hours, or longer jobs such as weekly batch cooking.
- 6 weeks holiday (based on a full time 35 hours per week and pro-rated for any part-time hours)
- Opportunities to go with me on social outings. I like to go to the cinema, craft groups, catch up with my friends and family members, and to personal development training opportunities.
Are you interested?
If so, email email@example.com, with the job reference number, your CV, and a covering letter including answers to these two questions:
- Why you would be a great Personal Assistant?
- How do you try to make the world safer or more accessible for those around you (it doesn’t have to be big)?
- ‘Please note that this advert has been placed on behalf of one of our customers. Should your application be successful, and you are offered the position, you will be directly employed by the customer and not by PeoplePlus’