Personal Care Assistant
Female Personal Care Assistant required in the S6 area of Sheffield
Flexible hours, 9-25 per week
£10.90 per hour
We are a small team responsible for delivering care to a young female in her early 30s who lives independently in Sheffield S6. We are now looking for individuals to join the team and deliver great care to her on a one-to-one basis to build her independence and transform her life from surviving to thriving. Using your proactive nature and sharing your positive and empathetic outlook on life, you will support her in her day-to-day care, her emotional wellbeing, and her health requirements.
We have a requirement to cover two shifts per day across 7 days and can be flexible, offering a variety of fixed shift patterns – we will discuss your requirements at the interview stage.
The individual has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), needs support managing her Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN), and lives with high functioning Autism. The latter means that she needs a specific approach to everyday life.
You would play a part in creating an environment where the individual feels at ease. Her high functioning Autism means she struggles if there is a lack of structure and routine. You will encourage her to expand her social interaction along with providing the emotional support she requires when starting new things and visiting new places. She enjoys a wide variety of hobbies from skating to interior design, and you would support her in doing more of what she enjoys.
Ideally, we are looking for someone from a care background, however, we would consider providing the right training for whoever joined the team. If you lack the experience but can demonstrate the qualities that we are looking for then we would like to hear from you.
You will be able to operate with confidence and take control of situations when they go off track. You can demonstrate the ability to follow diligent processes and will be required to support the individual with her TPN daily, for which training will be provided. Given her high functioning Autism, you will be considerate of her sensory and emotional wellbeing by planning her activities/appointments well in advance. You will have a great sense of humour with the ability to develop a calm, supportive and nurturing environment.
Skills & Experience
• Ideally, you will have experience of working with young adults with mental health difficulties and those on the high functioning end of the Autistic spectrum
• Ideally, you will have some clinical experience; specific training will be provided to support the individual in managing her medication schedule and her twice-daily TPN regime
• Ability to follow diligent processes with confidence, supporting the development of trust
• You will have a positive outlook with the capability to incorporate structure into everyday life
• Supporting an individual when she feels at her most vulnerable, you will have an appreciation for how complex her emotional needs can be and will create a calming and safe environment
• You will be capable of motivating her daily and supporting her with personal care and everyday administrative tasks to minimize her anxiety
• The environment is non-smoking
• A full clean driving license is essential
Ultimately you will be her advocate both with the medical profession and with the emotional and social aspects of her life. Sharing your positive outlook on life, you will develop an environment where she feels safe and secure.
Section 9; Schedule 83 [Work: Exceptions] (Part 1; Occupational Requirements) - applies to this post
Please note that this advert has been placed on behalf of our client. Should your application be successful, and you are offered the position, you will be directly employed by the client and not by PeoplePlus - Independent Living Services