Male Personal assistant/Carer
Job title Male Health & Social Care Personal Assistant
Hours 8 – 16 hours per week
Rates of pay £8.91 per hour
Purpose of Job
An elderly gentleman, who enjoys maintaining regular contact with his family. He has Parkinson’s Dementia and spinal injury which have a significant impact upon his life.
He is support by his wife, who is his main carer and support. He can communicate verbally at times.
Your role will be to assist and support him with maintaining his personal hygiene and care. Alongside supporting him with activities of daily living such as preparing with meals and drinks when required.
You will also support him with his daily routine, this will be including dressing, turning, and hoisting along with support from his wife and/or a second PA.
The purpose of this role is to support him to remain as independent as possible while respecting his dignity. You will help always reassure him through prompting clear instructions and explanations.
Additionally, helping wife to maintain a habitable home environment for him and replenish all personal hygiene items as and when required.
We consider patience, having a positive outlook and enthusiasm to be essential attributes for this job. Hours will be discussed at interview.
The main duties of the job are outlined below. However, because his needs vary on a day-to-day basis, it is extremely important that your approach to work is flexible. You will be expected to carry out any other reasonable personal assistance tasks that he and his wife requests.
As Bob’s Personal Assistant you should:
- Have some experience of working with individuals with Parkinson’s Dementia, and spinal injury.
- Have some experience of personal care.
- Have some experience of hoisting and turning. Training can be provided.
- Be fit and healthy.
- Have a positive attitude to disability.
- Have a positive attitude towards social inclusion.
- Be willing to work as directed.
- Support always during a shift.
- Have good communication skills.
- You must not smoke when working.
- Not drink alcohol when working.
- Be confidential in your work and understand the importance of this.
- Respect privacy and that of his family and friends.
- Be patient when doing repeated tasks.
- Have good general health.
- Be reliable and trustworthy.
- Be a good timekeeper.
- Be able to work in different settings.
- Be able to accept responsibility and work on your own initiative.
- Be flexible.
- Be clean and tidy to specification
- Be able to respond appropriately in an emergency.
- Have at least basic reading, writing and number skills.
This post is subject to a satisfactory DBS check and references which will be taken up if you are offered the post.
The main duties identified in the job description are examples of the expectations required; I may on occasions reasonably request additional activities to be undertaken inside or outside of the home.
“Please note that this advert has been placed on behalf of one of our customers. Should your application be successful and you are offered the position, you will be directly employed by the customer and not by PeoplePlus”