Carer / Personal Assistant in Tower Hamlets - Adults
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR PERSONAL ASSISTANT
Job Title: Personal Assistant
Place of work: At my home and at places in the community.
Rate of pay: £10.85 per hour
Hours of work: 30hrs 45 min can be shared between two people
Working times to be discussed
Purpose of job: To support me and my children to live independently. Be supportive, understanding and able to work around small children safely for example when packing dishwasher keep door closed as it can hurt the kids if they run past it, or when cooking keep saucepan handles away from the edge of the cooker so kids don’t run into it, don’t pack sharp knives in the drawers that the kids access. When you help me run their bath check temperature of water. In order for me to get through my day without further intervention, you and I must be able to reach all targets below and do so in a comfortable, kind and supportive way. Understanding of my illness and being engaged that its not just about tasks but also that I am seeking a supportive character that understands I have bad and good days and I have a huge challenge every day with two small kids around also.
- To support me with all aspects of personal care, including support with taking my medication / addressing any medical needs I may have. Especially as I have procedures every couple of months this may fluctuate on how much personal care is involved so flexibility with that is needed.
- To prepare my meals and drinks and ensure that I have access to food and drink when I am on my own and when I am with my children. Due to my Autoimmune condition I am a new Vegan which means a lot of our cooking will be different and so the person must be able to follow a cookbook occasionally
- To maintain a high standard of cleanliness within my home, my condition means that my flat if left not cleaned for more than two days will cause me to get allergic reactions so a lot of domestic duties to help maintain a sterile environment. which also includes laundry
- To support me around in my house, get in and out of bath, help carry things that I cant carry which is most things, from shopping, to laundry, to supporting me with whatever I need in terms of lifting, bending down, picking up.
- To take appropriate action in case of emergency.
- To ensure I am comfortable and safe at home on my own which includes but is not limited to turning on / off lights, heating, TV, checking I always have my epipen and locking the door.
- To build and sustain a good working relationship which will then enable me to access my physiotherapy and access DRs and hospitals alongside my children’s educational needs and shopping.
- To keep appropriate records and receipts of activities and monies spent
- Occasional school pick ups or childminding for the day if I am running late from hospital or if I had a procedure(day case) that day(this will always be arranged in advance and you will be well prepared before an event like that. And its usually only if I am having a day case procedure. During this time I would arrange in advance with yourself and the other carer to ensure the day or two following that will be well managed.
- To agree on suitable times and dates for support and to ensure a balance between continuity of support and flexibility of arrangements to suit the chosen activities
- Must respect our privacy and maintain confidentiality at all times regarding our personal life and what happens in my home.
- To enable me to carry out any other chosen activity, whether inside or outside my home, by carrying out any other requests I may reasonably make.