Pig Farm Manager (Outdoor)
Due to company growth we have two new opportunities for experienced farm unit managers to be based in the Angus area.
As unit manager you will be responsible for a team of five who will look after the health and welfare of a commercial breeding herd using the directions and standards set out by the company.
- Organise the unit’s daily routines in accordance with the procedure manual including feeding, bedding and day to day care of the livestock
- Co-ordinate, supervise and manage performance of the unit team
- Development and training of the unit staff
- Ensure the accurate completion of all relevant records (including the agrosoft system) and their timely return to the agricultural office as required
- In conjunction with the area manager, take responsibility for the maintenance of bio security in order to protect the health of the herd
- Implement and manage all vaccination and medication programmes
- Monitor the health of the livestock in your care
- Responsible for ensuring the unit has an adequate supply of feed, straw and artificial insemination (AI) on a weekly basis, as well as a maintained and effective water system
- Be aware of the herd’s production targets, and to work towards achieving them
- Responsible for health and safety standards on the unit
- Co-operate with management in the implementation of health and safety procedures, and actively promote a positive health and safety culture
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Previous experience in a similar role is essential
- Relevant formal qualification or experience in agriculture, ideally within farmed livestock production
- Proven leadership, coaching and management experience and be able to demonstrate people and performance experience
- Excellent communication and team working skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Knowledge of IT systems
- Determined and resilient, with the drive to complete tasks
- Ability to plan workloads and make difficult decisions
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies’ health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Competitive salary
- 33 days holiday per year (including public holidays)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked pork products with c. 4,500 employees over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally. We have full production chain visibility and our pork is eaten by millions of consumers every year.
Karro is part of the Eight Fifty Group which with the acquisitions of Youngs and Greenland Seafood is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses, with sites across the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany and France and sales of circa £1.9 billion.