International travel: Yes
UK, EU, EEA or Swiss passport required: Yes
Proposed salary: 25,000 per annum depending on experience, plus inclusion on the company bonus scheme after a successful first six months
Graduate applicants will be considered
Bilingual French and English speakers are encouraged to apply!
A career in engineering pipeline repair!
We are one of the UK’s leading companies in engineered composite repair of pipelines in both the offshore and onshore petro chemical industries. We are looking to expand our team with a qualified Mechanical Engineer who has previous knowledge and experience of pipeline and pressure vessel design and repair. You must be familiar with the ISO 24817 and ASME PCC2. Previous experience of composite repair calculations is preferred. Successful candidates will be problem solving individuals who are well organised and can prioritise their task load, they will be keen to travel to meet customers and have commercial awareness in order to continue the growing success of the business.
The Mechanical Engineer’s role will include the following tasks:
- Complete design specifications and calculations which meet industry standards and the needs of our customers
- Ability to apply a robust knowledge of the standards ISO 24817 and ASME PCC2 to various repair circumstances, using your understanding and knowledge to support repair design proposals
- Prepare supporting design calculations to ISO/ASME standards
- Carry out engineering design / calculations and produce design reports/technical notes
- Preparation of technical specifications in liaison with client and projects team
- Produce design documentation to comply with design standards, safety legislation
- Assist clients with new enquiries and technical queries
- Complete Risk Assessments and Method Statements for repairs
- Lead on the technical communication with our customers in response to their queries
- React to changing situations by adapting design specifications and calculations at short notice
- Support the sales team by attending presentations to customers both in the UK and abroad
- Take a lead on composite testing to relevant standards to keep Metalyte Pipeworks repair solutions innovative and cutting edge, this will include practical work assembling testing coupons and spools as well as liaising with external testing laboratories to complete tests and analyse results
- Implement changes to documentation as and when necessary
- Complete weekends on-call as part of the technical teams’ rota, reacting promptly and professionally to any emergency repairs that are sent in during the weekend
- Support changes and improvements to internal business processes
Essential skills & qualities:
- Minimum of a 2:1 Degree in an Engineering discipline
- Understanding of Composites, their behaviours and properties. Ideally you will have studied these as part of your university course, or in a previous role
- Good experience and understanding of CAD software - Autodesk Inventor (preferred), Solidworks or AutoCAD
- Good experience and understanding of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) – Autodesk Inventor Nastran In-CAD (preferred), ABAQUS, Solidworks or Altair Hyperworks
- Experience in Engineering Design and Project Management
- Practical experience – Implementation of Engineering Design into the real world
- Knowledge of generic mechanical principles such as stresses, forces, material selection and design principles
- Confident and relaxed telephone manner; customer/client liaison skills and good commercial awareness
- Excellent MS Skills (Excel, VBA, Word, Powerpoint)
- Ability to perform complex functions using Excel (e.g. INDEX, MATCH, VLOOKUP, IF/AND/OR)
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Supplier relationship management – Source the materials needed for the next generation of composites & working with our testing laboratory
Desirable skills & qualities:
- Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering preferred
- Background knowledge of Oil & Gas, Piping and Utilities
- Ability to use Mathcad
- Experience of Mechanical & Design projects – Can include projects undertaken in spare time
- Chemical background – understanding of chemistry, knowledge of epoxy resins and how to formulate them
- Experience in pipeline integrity and inspection
- Practical and hands-on experience with a basic understanding of power tools and pneumatic tools
- Fluent French speaker
A little more about the role and the business:
We are a growing company who hold a niche position within our field, with a highly trained team of technicians we can offer you the opportunity of learning new skills that are at the cutting edge of leak repair. We are a people company first and foremost, and employ loyal, friendly and well skilled technicians to represent our company.
You will work with the Technical Team who are responsible for providing effective and compliant repairs to our global customers. You may often accompany the sales team to presentations all over the world where you will play a key role in giving confidence to our customers that all our services have the back up of compliant calculations. The Technical Team work from home for three days a week and meet together in the office in Tamworth for two days a week. Team members who live further afield stay overnight for one night in a local hotel, paid for by the company.
You will provide calculations (in line with the relevant standards) for repair design specifications and validating the repair method they put forward. You will write up repair specifications and will design appropriate CAD diagrams for these specifications. We are constantly developing new methods and techniques to service our customers’ requirements; you must therefore be a creative thinker who seeks to support innovation. We will rely on you to evaluate new systems and methods to ensure they comply with appropriate standards, and you will work with testing laboratories to do the same.
This is a 24/7 response business you will therefore be required to respond to customer emergencies in ‘out-of-hours’ periods. You will become part of the on-call team rota.
Benefits of working for the company include a competitive salary, 20 days holiday including three days at Christmas (as well as public and bank holidays), a pension scheme and the benefit of private health insurance after one year’s service with us.